Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me

Toonami
(1 viewing) (1) Guest

TOPIC: Toonami

Toonami 1 year, 11 months ago #116497

  • H8
  • OFFLINE
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Posts: 18
  • Karma: -3
alright, i didn't read that part. just the toonami returns

Toonami 1 year, 11 months ago #116498

  • miquelfire
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Expert Boarder
  • I like red
  • Posts: 2191
  • Karma: 40
shadzar wrote:
celestial_being wrote:
What is "original anime programming"?


if lucky it means things like Big O, that i recall got a second season in part because of backing from CN, and IGPX was also helped in some way by CN.

and Toonami is replacing Adult Swim? what is the point in that. there is already shows in those slots...Toonami should be another night, or lead-up into Adult Swim like when it was last 10-midnight.

as for "Tom goes to the mayor" all that is just trash and has no place on a CARTOON netowrk, like that Vermillion Pleasure Nights garbage had no place on the ANIME network, and wrasslin has no place on a SciFi network.


Toonami is only replacing the anime block on Adult Swim. Also, Adult Swim has live action programming they created...
Nothing makes want to rage quit more than driving. HURRY UP SELF DRIVING CARS!



VOD Reports Templates (Check it out if you have VOD) Issues tracker | My Anime DVDs

Toonami 1 year, 11 months ago #116499

  • psychopuppet
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Moderator
  • BAH WEEP GRA NA WEEP NINNY BONG!
  • Posts: 3914
  • Karma: 111
Newshawk wrote:
:pinch: Warning: Spoiler!


I believe the problem occurred when CN execs got greedy and started thinking that they were the best outlet for Anime at the time. Thinking why should they have to pay for something they don't get hardly if any money from. It was backa**wards really compared to normal standards but a few companies like Bandai and Geneon from how may shows they both got on seemed to play ball to get some shows out there. You have to remember for most of early and mid 2000's there really was not much other choice then CN to get Anime on that was on more cable providers at the time. G4 had Anime Unleashed for like around 4 years but then again it was placed all over the place to it finally just stopped. That was the other place ADV had stuff G4. I think once the fad fans got tired of Anime around 2005 it marked a 2 year death spiral that some companies either died off or limped around for a few more years then just walked off into the sunset. Of course one resurrected and found a new life in a new shiny form. It probably changed from show to show I believe some shows they felt would get them good ratings they paid for and others they made the companies pay to get them on. I think that may explain the reasoning of how some shows repeated for as long as they have and why some only ran once or twice. Though from the fact we did not end up with a whole mess of fanservice shows I'm thinking AS had final say in if they'd take something. I do however believe if I could remember the source of that there was a good reason why I believed it did and may still happen. I do believe Funimation would pay to get their shows on a Network just as much as I believe all the rumors I was hearing about why Funimation suddenly got VOD on Comcast right before the TAN VOD was taken down.

Oh yeah Super Milk Chan was the other ADV one. They did show a episode of NGE ,Martian Successor Nadesico , and I think Dai-guard during Toonami's Giant Robot Week.


Slowhand wrote:


Jason DeMarco, former Toonami producer and recently promoted vice president of strategic marketing and promotions for Cartoon Network and Adult Swim, confirmed this schedule on Monday via his Twitter account.



He would probably be the reason Toonami is coming back in any form. I know I remember reading most of the staff was really disappointed CN canceled it and were just placed all over CN. I'm guessing a few must have ended up on the FusionFall team as Toonami references and characters started to appear every so often.
Last Edit: 1 year, 11 months ago by psychopuppet.

Toonami 1 year, 11 months ago #116505

  • shadzar
  • OFFLINE
  • Expert Boarder
  • Posts: 2186
  • Karma: 46
miquelfire wrote:
Toonami is only replacing the anime block on Adult Swim. Also, Adult Swim has live action programming they created...


and that worked so well for them, they were having problems wondering why their live-action crap wasnt getting viewers. might be because the age range had BETTER live action programming.

either way, the anime block it appear is the entire adult swim saturday night line-up...which seems, the name of the block changing to Toonami from what slow posted, and the shows being changed a bit.

Bleach, GiTS, and FMA:B, all still there but no more FLCL, Cowboy Beebop, Duradura, etc. and Steve Blume as TOM will be hosting it again. doesnt really seem like Toonami is back so much as Adult Swim isnt going to be saturday night anymore...unless this is happening on friday nights or something. i always hate programming blocks starting at midnight, cause its still the same day as 11pm because i havent gone to bed yet!

Toonami 1 year, 11 months ago #116516

  • tonka
  • OFFLINE
  • Expert Boarder
  • Posts: 2075
  • Karma: 42
psychopuppet wrote:
Actually its been the way I said for a while now when it comes to AS. It was mentioned before by someone I believe at Funimation or it may have been Geneon or Viz that said they had to pay CN to get their shows on TV now. Shame Dragoon is MIA he knew more about it.

PP is right. I guess we all forget about the rumors and heresays about Bandai paying/givinthat for free to get some of their shows on CN. Hell, I'll do you'ze all a proper and direct you to a certain podcast featuring a one time Bandai employee.
Here ya go:

www.animenewsnetwork.com/anncast/2011-12-16

Our topic of conversation is on the 16:40 mark.
Enjoy...

As for the lineup, not too excited since it's pretty much old stuff I already own and/or stuff I dropped after season 2/3. The only thing that piques is Deadman, but do I really wanna sit through the rest, week after week, just for that one?
As for Casshern, kinda shocked actually since, yes I know there's robot on robot action, but for the most part, it's a moody, angsty kinda show. The fact that it takes place in a dreary, stark wasteland with few instances of vibrant color might also turn viewers off.

Of course, I could be proven wrong and the audience will eat it up, like me.

In the end, I'll sit through the whole block the first day to see all the new nick-nacks and catch Deadman's dub (I assume it'll have one.)

Toonami 1 year, 11 months ago #116561

  • Newshawk
  • NOW ONLINE
  • CoolBoarder
  • Otaku Grandpa┬« & TAN Casting Sensei
  • Posts: 4106
  • Karma: 96
tonka wrote:
psychopuppet wrote:
Actually its been the way I said for a while now when it comes to AS. It was mentioned before by someone I believe at Funimation or it may have been Geneon or Viz that said they had to pay CN to get their shows on TV now. Shame Dragoon is MIA he knew more about it.

PP is right. I guess we all forget about the rumors and heresays about Bandai paying/givinthat for free to get some of their shows on CN. Hell, I'll do you'ze all a proper and direct you to a certain podcast featuring a one time Bandai employee.
Here ya go:

www.animenewsnetwork.com/anncast/2011-12-16

Our topic of conversation is on the 16:40 mark.
Enjoy...


What I heard is that Bandai bartered some series to Cartoon Network/Adult Swim and others. I never heard Jerry Chu say that Bandai paid to have the series aired. I covered that in my previous post:

Newshawk wrote:
Many syndicated shows are run on a barter basis. The network pays little or no money for the series and the advertising time is split between the program syndicator and the network. (Emphasis added)


Bandai got something of value-advertising availabilities they could use for their own advertising. Even if they paid, however, the money would have come from the marketing budget.

Toonami 1 year, 11 months ago #116581

  • psychopuppet
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Moderator
  • BAH WEEP GRA NA WEEP NINNY BONG!
  • Posts: 3914
  • Karma: 111
There was also the more recent post over at Topless Robot when Bandai Entertainment announced it was closing up shop here.

www.toplessrobot.com/2012/01/bandai_entertainment_1998-2012.php
Bandai Japan demanded that Bandai Entertainment get the original '70s Mobile Suit Gundam series on Cartoon Network, despite the fact it was 20 years old, looked 20 years old, and was waaaaaaaay too boring for young American audiences. Cartoon Network, not being insane, refused. Bandai Japan then paid CN to run the original Gundam anime, thus fucking up the Toonami block for years -- because once CN got paid to run an anime, the CN executives weren't going to run any anime without getting a check for it first. If you've ever wondered why an anime that would seemingly have been perfect for Toonami never, chances are it's because the licensor couldn't afford CN's asking price.


Believe it or not it's up to you but I'm 99.9% sure it happened. Now that I think about it I'm almost certain it was a former Geneon employee who said once Bandai paid them for one show we all had to pay.
Last Edit: 1 year, 11 months ago by psychopuppet.

Toonami 1 year, 11 months ago #116606

  • Newshawk
  • NOW ONLINE
  • CoolBoarder
  • Otaku Grandpa┬« & TAN Casting Sensei
  • Posts: 4106
  • Karma: 96
psychopuppet wrote:
There was also the more recent post over at Topless Robot when Bandai Entertainment announced it was closing up shop here.

www.toplessrobot.com/2012/01/bandai_entertainment_1998-2012.php
Bandai Japan demanded that Bandai Entertainment get the original '70s Mobile Suit Gundam series on Cartoon Network, despite the fact it was 20 years old, looked 20 years old, and was waaaaaaaay too boring for young American audiences. Cartoon Network, not being insane, refused. Bandai Japan then paid CN to run the original Gundam anime, thus fucking up the Toonami block for years -- because once CN got paid to run an anime, the CN executives weren't going to run any anime without getting a check for it first. If you've ever wondered why an anime that would seemingly have been perfect for Toonami never, chances are it's because the licensor couldn't afford CN's asking price.


Believe it or not it's up to you but I'm 99.9% sure it happened. Now that I think about it I'm almost certain it was a former Geneon employee who said once Bandai paid them for one show we all had to pay.


OK. That was the missing piece of the puzzle for me. Now I understand, and I'll agree with you. In their haste to promote a tired, out of date series, Bandai set the bar for all that followed. If I'd had know that at first, I would have just written it off to a Japanese corporation attempting to play by Japanese rules in an American system. You can't get there from here.

Toonami 1 year, 10 months ago #116957

  • Slowhand
  • OFFLINE
  • Moderator
  • Mod Whip Mistress
  • Posts: 14359
  • Karma: 594
Adult Swim's Toonami Block Returns Tonight
Casshern Sins, Deadman Wonderland anime to premiere during 6-hour programming block

Adult Swim, the cable and satellite network that is paired with Cartoon Network, will premiere the return of the Toonami programming block tonight at midnight. The full schedule for the block is as follows (all times Eastern):

12:00 a.m. - Bleach
12:30 a.m. - Deadman Wonderland
1:00 a.m. - Casshern Sins
1:30 a.m. - Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood
2:00 a.m. - Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex 2nd GIG
2:30 a.m. - Cowboy Bebop


The schedule then repeats from 3:00 a.m. to 6:00 a.m.

The block will mark the U.S. broadcast premiere of 'Deadman Wonderland' and 'Casshern Sins'. Jason DeMarco, former Toonami producer and recently promoted vice president of strategic marketing and promotions for Cartoon Network and Adult Swim, confirmed this schedule on Monday.

Adult Swim had announced last week that it would bring back its Toonami programming block starting on Saturday, May 26.

Source: ANN
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kyoya

Toonami 1 year, 10 months ago #116966

  • blakdragon7
  • OFFLINE
  • Senior Boarder
  • ADV Forever!
  • Posts: 520
  • Karma: 10
They could have just announced new shows for Adult Swim. This whole Toonami thing is cool and all but what people wanted was a weekday return. Not some graveyard slot on Saturdays.
I'm an Anime Network Ghost...
Time to create page: 1.97 seconds